[Catalyst] Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Cory Watson jheephat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 13:32:33 GMT 2006

On 11/16/06, Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/11/06, catalyst.20.chsg at spamgourmet.com
> <catalyst.20.chsg at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Essentially, according to his test, which doesn't take into account
> > ORM performance, Rails & Django knock the socks of Catalyst.

<snip>

> The first thing I noticed was that the content length of the document
> served by catalyst was longer than that served by rails.
> He doesn't seem to have tried very hard to test "apples for apples" (his words)
>
> Also see the very good comment by "JayK" as to why it's not a very
> good real-world test at all.
> http://letsgetdugg.com/view/Catalyst_vs_Rails_vs_Django_Cook_off
>
> I'm not saying Catalyst's performance couldn't be improved, or that
> it's not slower than Rails - just that a bad benchmark is worthless.

I agree with all your points Carl. I have not been present in teh IRC
for a few days to see any discussions related to this thread.  I'm
sure some optimizations were discussed and some things will be
implemented because of it.  So with the precondition that I haven't
kept up with the state of affairs I'd like to thank victori for
spending his time and effort to create _something_.  It's more than
his naysayers have to done to show us how fast Catalyst is.  I
respectfully suggest that those who criticize his work should use
their energies to /improve/ his test rather than merely dismissing it
as worthless.  Using his code as a base, couldn't one create a test
that was more fair?  Then someone would have a test that shows results
that are more 'real' and give potential users more information with
which to make a decision.

Catalyst doesn't have to be the fastest in such a test.  That's
probably never been the One True Goal of the core devs.  But providing
people with information as to why Catalyst is good (or bad) should be
high on the list.

--
Cory 'G' Watson
http://www.onemogin.com