[Catalyst] Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Thu Nov 16 15:12:40 GMT 2006

On 11/16/06, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
> Regardless of whether the test is 'real world', and regardless of
> whether the frameworks 'were meant to serve more complicated things',
> Catalyst is slower in this instance. All things being unequal, if I tell
> my boss we have 3 frameworks to choose from, and one is flexible, and
> the others are fast, he's going to choose fast every time...even knowing
> the testing may be faulty. Yes, I know better. He probably does too. But
> that's how the world works.

What world is this? The world that doesn't realise programmers are far
more expensive than hardware? The world where bosses don't realise the
cost of inflexibility? The ability not to adapt fast is a concern
that's been hammered long and hard in business circles since forever
so this nominal boss would have to be really particularly shortsighted
to blindly choose speed over flexibility.

Post a rebuttal, suggest better benchmarks, leave a trackback, move
on. This doesn't seem like getting wound up about.

Paul