[Catalyst] Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

Cory Watson jheephat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 16:54:38 GMT 2006

On 11/16/06, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> Cory Watson wrote:
> > My original intent was to prod someone that is knowledgeable enough of
> > Catalyst's internals to criticize this benchmark's methods to create a
> > benchmark that is more friendly to Catalyst's strengths.  We've
> > established that serving static content is not a fitting use.  We've
> > established that a single action is also not an appropriate use of
> > Catalyst's dispatcher. So we include some content directly in the
> > response body.  But how many actions must be present for the
> > dispatcher to shine?  Then we modify the test to use a more realistic
> > number and exercise the dispatcher a bit.
>
> This doesn't really solve any problems, though.  I think you're
> confusing liking something with it being the best.  The fact that you
> (we) like Catalyst doesn't mean it's faster than anything else.
> (Admittedly perl itself is faster than python/ruby in a number of areas,
> but not in the areas Catalyst's dispatcher uses.)

It solves the problem that the benchmark in question is a poor
representation of Catalyst's performance.

Rather than make an exhaustive reply to your response I'll attempt to
put this to bed by merely stating that I think providing the Intarweb
with a 'better' way to measure Catalyst's pefromance is more
constructive than dismissing the way that results that were proffered.

--
Cory 'G' Watson
http://www.onemogin.com