[Catalyst] write utf8 to STDOUT "wide character in print"

apv apv at sedition.com
Sat Nov 18 22:51:16 GMT 2006

I am getting "wide character in print" warnings to the terminal for
tests and such still when all my utf8 is acting perfect in the
browser (and even in MIME headers for email the app is sending, so
I'm pretty sure I'm doing it all correctly).

I think it's happening here:

In Catalyst/Engine.pm
     print STDOUT $buffer;

Putting
   binmode STDOUT, ":utf8";
in the sub fixes it, but not elsewhere (like in MyApp.pm).

Since the engine is trying to be aware of the content (and the
default headers are utf8), shouldn't it try to talk to the output the
same way?

Thanks!
-Ashley