[Catalyst] Re: Non-real world irrelevant benchmarks

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Mon Nov 20 12:26:54 GMT 2006

* catalyst.20.chsg at spamgourmet.com <catalyst.20.chsg at spamgourmet.com> [2006-11-20 12:45]:
> On Nov 16, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Marcus Ramberg <marcus.ramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've written high-traffic sites for my employer. TT hasn't
>> really been a bottleneck for us. In my opinion, the most
>> important thing is that stuff scale in a linear fashion, and
>> that's usually easy to achive with Catalyst.
>
> I've been mulling this over for the last week, and finally
> realized that I don't have enough understanding of what you
> said to make any use of it. Would you mind expanding on what
> "scal[ing] in a linear fashion" means for those of use that
> don't know?

It simply means that if your traffic doubles, requests be served
no less than half as fast. If you aren’t careful, it’s easy to
create a system that takes 3× or 4× as long to serve requests
when it gets 2× the traffic. In that case, the more your traffic
grows, the worse you will get bogged down. If you scale linearly
or better, then you can just throw more hardware at the problem
as your traffic grows, and you don’t have to worry much.

Regards,