[Catalyst] Calling form plugin authors: these should not be plugins

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:04:00 GMT 2006

I looked at the code of some plugins - it's quite frequent that they
don't do anything beside just putting the method calls from some
original module to the context object.
I don't  see any advantage in using $c->some_method instead of
Some::Module->some_method. This unnecessarily complicate the
inheritance tree.  The only marginal benefit is that they state - this
module can work with Catalyst.

--
Zbyszek

On 11/20/06, Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek <rs at 474.at> wrote:

> Jon said:
> >
> > Hear, hear!  One of the things I had real trouble getting my head around
> > on introduction to Catalyst was why things like FormBuilder and Widget
> > had to be plugins.  Ended up wasting a lot of time trying to write code
> > that I couldn't see the sense in.  Perhaps
> > Catalyst::Manual::WritingPlugins could be augmented with a set of
> > guidelines or tests for what should and shouldn't constitute a plugin vs
> > component?
>
> I'm working on a complete rewrite. The new version will be less focussed
> on plugins and more on extension and customisation of the framework.
>
> gr.,
> Robert
>
> --
> # Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek
> # Perl 5/Catalyst Developer in Hamburg, Germany
> { EMail => ' rs at 474.at ', Web => ' http://474.at ' }

Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/