[Catalyst] AJAX best practices, maximum availability

Drew Taylor taylor.andrew.j at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 23:53:13 GMT 2006

On 11/20/06, Renaud <renaud at linuxaddicts.com> wrote:

> I have a site where you can display information about restaurants. You get
> those informations with links like /restaurant/1234/menu,
> /restaurant/1234/access, /restaurant/1234/rates...
>
> I'd like to update my page using ajax but without forgetting the clients
> who cannot support it, so by default, the menu items link to
> /restaurant/1234/menu, .../access, and so on.
> If the client supports it, it replaces the links to functions that will
> instead replace the content of some div where I display the requested
> information. However to retrieve only the content of that div instead of
> the whole page, it will fetch /restaurant/1234/menu/content,
> /restaurant/1234/access/content, and so on...

Sorry, I know nothing about the chained accessor stuff, but this is
exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for to help me understand
WHY I would use chained actions. :-) I got the technical bits, but I
had not yet seen a proper use case. Now it all makes sense. Thanks!

Dev folks, I would love to hear you chime in too.

Drew