[Catalyst] Last Chance / Last Day: Web development platform contestand Perl / Catalyst

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 20:31:34 GMT 2006

On 11/30/06, Alvar Freude <alvar at a-blast.org> wrote:
> Having more teams should be good for several reasons: we can show that Perl
> isn't dead (at the moment it looks half-dead), and there are more options
> to choose from.

IMHO, Perl does *not* look half dead.

The rate of CPAN modules uploaded per year continues to rise, anyone
could name a litany of high and low profile sites that still run perl,
and the perl job market is great.  Active cutting-edge development
continues in both p5 and of course the various p6-related efforts.
Perl has never been a slick, well-marketed language, but it is still
the duct-tape of the Internet.

In spite of Perl's complete lack of kissing up to the "Enterprise"
world, it's still an A-rated language on the TIOBE index:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index

The lack of participants in a competition like this says to me that
most Perl developers that could participate are just too busy with
real work to bother.

-- Brandon