[Catalyst] Last Chance / Last Day: Web developmentplatformcontestand Perl / Catalyst

Sebastian Riedel sri-lists at oook.de
Thu Nov 30 21:07:41 GMT 2006

Tobias Kremer wrote:
> Today I was in a meeting with one of Germany's top twenty
> internet agencies to speak about the future of our (home-brewed Perl-based)
> community app. I spoke to the person in charge of technology who
> of course tried to persuade me that Java and .Net/C# is the
> way to go. Even worse, he was convinced that Perl has no object-
> orientation features at all! He was surprised when I told him
> about the CPAN and Perl's flexible object capabilities.
> Unfortunately this is not an isolated case.

Yes, thats quite common sadly and caused only by lack of marketing.
> One of Germany's most successful web portals serving several
> hundred million page impressions per month with Perl recently
> started hiring Java developers.

It's so absurd when you think about it, from script language back to
compiled mess?
The opposite should be the case!

We really have to start learning from the Ruby folks,
take a look at these two books, it's pure marketing genius.

    From Java To Ruby: Things Every Manager Should Know
(http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_j2r/index.html)
    Rails For Java Developers
(http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_r4j/index.html)

> I hate to say this, but Perl is really lacking some sort of marketing.
> To my mind Catalyst could be the new killer-app that has the potential to
> resurrect our favorite language. But not if we can't get the word out.
> This is really frustrating. Catalyst's website is one big mess. Go to
> the wiki section and you get gazillions of links on one page. Click on
> documentation and you receive ugly POD pages. This is just not up to
> standards set by other frameworks. Don't get me wrong: The content and
> documentation is better than most other frameworks but the presentation
> just sucks. I recently met another fellow perl dude and we're currently
> brainstorming what has to change to make Perl and the Catalyst project
> more appealing to the average CTO, technical lead, dude-who-is-in-charge-
> but-thinks-perl-is-dead :)
I completely agree, but you don't get (good) marketing for free,
a company or The Perl Foundation would have to invest money in it.

Take a look at Java, PHP and Ruby, all the marketing initiatives can be
traced back to a few smart companies.

(Please take a few minutes and think about it before flaming me, thanks)
> P.S. I read that the upcoming issue of the iX magazine will feature an
> article about web development with Catalyst ...

Just seen that too, will be fun to read.
(http://www.heise.de/ix/vorschau.shtml) :)

--
sebastian