[Catalyst] Catalyst::Plugin::Server::XMLRPC and utf-8 encoded responses

John Beppu john.beppu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 17:59:54 CEST 2006

I'm trying to get Catalyst::Plugin::Server::XMLRPC to send back its
'utf-8' so that qq(<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="$RPC::XML::ENCODING"?>) works.  Unfortunately, this is not
enough.

If the actual bytes being sent over the network are not in utf-8, the
xml parser will throw an exception saying that the xml document is not
valid.  For example, ...

* If I send back the string "\xe9" which is an e w/ an accent on it in
iso-8859-1, the xml parser on the client side dies.
* If I send back the string "\x{c3a9}" which an e w/ an accent on it
in utf-8, the xml parser is happy.

Is there any way to force the encoding of the response to be real
utf-8 all the time?  Basically, I want the "\xe9" to be automagically
changed to "\x{c3a9}".