[Catalyst] Singleton or Memcache

Matthias Ludwig matthias at kl-mailer.de
Wed Oct 18 08:55:17 CEST 2006

> I would go even one step more and suggest you look at what is making you
> think you need to load the full tree in the first place. Many times dealing
> with large trees I have gotten stuck in the assumption that I would need to
> act on the full tree, when after investigating further I was almost always
> able to refactor and act on limited subsets and optimize the tree for
> better use.  Can you go into what this tree is to be used for and the
> structure in a little more detail so we may provide other options (if they
> exist).

Ohh, thanks for the assistance :)
It's for a big shopping-portal with lots of articles in lots of
categories. On every category- and article-page there should be a "way
to the top" with links to every base-category (up to the root).
In the database every category has a id, base_id and a name (<=100
chars). Every article has category_id that references the category.

Showing 1 page creates up to 6 or 7 calls to the database.
- selecting article
- selecting category
- selecting base_category
... (up to the root)