[Catalyst] (Beginner) Plugins

Alejandro Imass alejandro.imass at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:03:46 BST 2006

On 10/24/06, Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org> wrote:

> Ouch, what an insane client...
>
> I hope you're charging them $$$ ;-)

Not really. But they gave me the opportunity to use whatever I wanted so it
was perfect for my first Catalyst project. You now must think that it is I
who is insane!

> Use ImageMagic/Imager/GD or whatever to dump out a scalar, and then
> put that in $c->response->body, and set the content type
> appropriately, in something like

Yes, I was thinking along these lines. I had done something similar with
MapServer several years ago, but used random number image files.

>         sub images : Local {
>                 my ( $self, $c, $image ) =3D @_;

[...]

                # make sure to set the caching control headers, like
>                 # expires, cache-control, last-modified, etc
>         }

Thanks for the example!

and make sure that $scaled can behave nicely with Storable.

 Ok.

The reason I suggest doing this and not adjacent files is that the
> key space cardinality ( image * width * height ) is very big. If you
> only need width that's better, i guess, but there's still a
> potential to easily have several hundred versions of a single image.

Yeah well. In either case I have to generate the image, so unless, the
images are re-used
 it makes no sense to store them on disk. If the image name had the
dimentions I could check if that particular image was already generated, but
it looks like too much trouble.

I think I will use AJAX to request the generation of the image. Besides, all
this trouble is _only_ for the main page news image and a few other places.
The site itself is actually quite simple.

When I finish this site I will make the code available so you can shoot at
it :-D

Using one of the Cache modules on the CPAN you can constrain the
> cache to say 200MB and still get decent performance.
>
> I hope this helps
>

> There are two more categories of plugins - ones that act on the web
> specific data structures (e.g. C::P::Browser, C::P::Session), and

[...]

controller just using caching services, and the configuration
> providing all the know-how for choosing the right cache, etc.
>
> It doesn't sound like any of these scenarios coincide with yours.

Thanks!