[Catalyst] Is Catalyst what I want?

JT Justman jt at signless.com
Fri Oct 27 10:06:28 BST 2006

Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I discovered catalyst while looking for a simple JavaScript code snippet
> to activate a checkbox immediately. I read a bit on cpan and Catalyst
> seems to use some of my favorite perl glue, like DBI, CGI, and Template
> toolkit.
>
> But do I want a full blown framework?
>
> Or do I just want a simple JavaScript function?
>
> I hope that those of you who have a bit of experience with both might
> reply and advise me on the right course of action.

He he. That sounds rather like going to the hardware store for a pack of
tumbtacks and coming home with a pneumatic staple gun, 10hp air
compressor, twenty-foot scaffolding, and four cases of #1 zinc-coated
staples.

Seriously though, what are you trying to do? There's a lot of reasons to
use a framework, and a lot of reasons that Catalyst is a great
framework, but repeating them in this thread seems redundant. My
personal experience, having previously spent a lot of time 'rolling my
own', Catalyst was a breath of fresh air. There is a bit of a learning
curve, but I've never felt better about the apps I'm producing. I'd
never used TT, so you might be even more at home.

But if you're telling us that you have a mature app with one small
issue, and want to know if you should port it over to fix it, I'll say
probably not ;P

JT