[Catalyst] Is Catalyst what I want?

Krzysztof Krzyżaniak eloy at pawnhearts.eu.org
Fri Oct 27 18:19:07 BST 2006

Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> writes:

>> TT. Mostly beacuse I have access to catalyst context here. I've tried to
>> use ClearSilver but it was too simple for me (almost every controller
>> needed additional 10-20 lines of code).
>
> Keep in mind that although ClearSilver isn't as syntactically
> expressive, it is *much* faster.  There's a reason Google and Yahoo use
> ClearSilver and not TT.
>
> But, you don't need to add code to your controller to handle the
> formatting -- that should be in the view.  This will give you more
> flexibility in the end.  You can write maintainable, testable formatters
> in Perl as your View and let ClearSilver handle the tough bit of
> actually inserting strings into HTML.

I don't mean formatting, I mean that I cannot use in ClearSilver something
like that:

[% IF (c.user.obj.id == article.data.account_id) %]

or

because I don't have access to context. I have to "map" all method I need
in stash.

> I like the convenience of TT myself, but I think ClearSilver + perl
> preprocessor is the Right Way To Do Things, if that matters :)

Maybe. But somehow I like to have more information than 'parse error' when
I prepare template :>

  eloy
--

       jak to dobrze, że są oceany - bez nich byłoby jeszcze smutniej