[Catalyst] patch: C::P::Compress::Deflate

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Tue Sep 19 22:00:10 CEST 2006

Perrin Harkins scribbled on 9/19/06 11:46 AM:

> Since you use apache in production, have you considered using
> mod_deflate for compression?  It seems like a better solution than
> something at the perl level.

I started to write a long response, then realized why I was having the whole
compression/caching issue in the first place. I was caching compressed pages,
which meant that browser headers were ignored, etc.

doh!

So now I need to implement mod_deflate. Since y'all have likely done this
before, I'll ask here.

We have a typical proxy frontend/mod_perl backend setup. Which server should
handle the compression? Seems like maybe the backend could, since we are caching
pages, but don't know if there are accepted best practices on this.

Thanks.

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com