[Catalyst] [OT] compiling perl/apache from scratch

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 22:31:31 CEST 2006

not strictly a cat question, but probably interesting to a few that
pass through here ... and as I know this group ...

decided to setup apache2/mod_perl on my laptop for dev purposes today.
In the past I've just used apt for this, but I decided to have a go at
compiling all from scratch, as I know I will need to do this.

I have built apache and perl 5.8.8 from source, and installed, after a
few hiccups ( I used the compile option for apache to stick everything
under one directory, as it seemed easier ... but whatever ...)

having built a new perl, I switch over by renaming the old
/usr/bin/perl and setting up a symlink. Now I have 5.8.8

Now I try to run my old cat test suite ... it seems I need to go to
cpan for each module that was previously installed.

is there any way to avoid this when upgrading perl ? or at least a
quick way to find back all the stuff you had installed and install it
all in one hit?

and any other useful stuff i could know for doing this 1st time?

thanks

Daniel

--
Daniel McBrearty