[Catalyst] The old double-post issue

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Thu Sep 21 09:10:56 CEST 2006

I use javascript to
- disable the form at the start of the page
- enable it at the end of the page as it finishes loading
- disable again after submitting
- re-enable clicks in the error screen if a handler fails
also to check document.readyState == 'complete' in button and link handlers.

That stops a click on a part-loaded page before all the js and form elements
are set up. It also catches a double click on a submit or a click on a
submit followed accidentally by one on another hyperlink nearby. But since
the user is heavily protected that's rare unless the js has bombed, in which
case it's good that they can still get out with an ESC or right click
(assuming they know they can do that or your manual tells them so).
It's quite easy to get multiple submits from js if you're messing around
with form.target, form.action etc. in event handlers.

function clickhandler(e) { return false; }

function disableClick()
  {
  if (isNetscape4plus())
    {
    top.window.captureEvents(Event.CLICK);
    top.window.onclick = clickhandler;
    }
  else if (isIE5plus())
    {
    top.window.document.body.setCapture();
    top.window.document.body.style.cursor = "wait";
    }
  }

function enableClick()
  {
  if (isNetscape4plus())
    {
    top.window.onclick = null;
    top.window.releaseEvents(Event.CLICK);
    }
  else if (isIE5plus())
    {
    top.window.document.body.releaseCapture();
    top.window.document.body.style.cursor = "default";
    }
  }

// some obj detection code here to detect browser in isNetscape4plus(),...

Regards, Peter