[Catalyst] Rails-like form helpers

Jon Warbrick jw35 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 11:25:37 CEST 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Ash Berlin wrote:

> Maybe look at FormBuilder. (?)

Definitely a possibility, but I haven't got my head around it yet...

> Also suggest a situation that is "complex then solutions like HTMLWidget
> can conveniently cope with" and I'll tell you if it is (or will be -
> refactor is coming)

person, telephone_number and email_address have multiple columns. person
has_many telephone_numbers, person has_many email_addresses. I want a form
to manage information about a particular person, including the ability to
update existing telephone numbers and email addresses, and with buttons to
delete any particular number and to add new ones. I don't think HTMLWidget
can do that (though I'd be happy to be proved wrong).

There is also the issue that a complex form it may need careful manual
layout of the various controls to make it usable. As I see it this is
something for the designer to do, working in the relevant templates,
whereas with HTMLWidget at least the ordering and grouping, and to some
extent the layout, is defined in the model class. I accept there is much
that can be done about this with CSS, but I also suspect that there are
some things that can't.

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick
Web/News Development, Computing Service, University of Cambridge