[Catalyst] catalyst++

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Sep 29 15:39:20 CEST 2006

>   When I looked at InstantCrud, it only worked with TT, and I want to
> use it with Mason.  Is there a way to do this?

Welcome to the world of software. :)  If you want flexibility, you're
going to have to code it yourself.  If you want ready-to-go magic,
you're going to have to compromise somewhere.

That said, InstantCRUD could be modified to do what you want, it
wouldn't be more than a half-hour or so of effort. Also, I believe there
are other Catalyst frameworks; Reaction and Enzyme come to mind.
Someone that's actually played with those could tell you more.

Also, Jifty probably does exactly what you want (Lots of magic, lots of
mason).  Unfortunately it's a bit too clever for its own good -- syntax
like:

use MyWeblog::Record schema {

  column title =>
        type is 'text',
        label is 'Title',
        default is 'Untitled post';

  column body =>
        type is 'text',
        label is 'Content',
        render_as 'Textarea';
}

has to be confusing to people who are new to perl.  (Why he couldn't
have just done

schema => { [
              {name => title, label => whatever},
              {name => text,  label => content },
          ] };

nobody knows :)

Finally, I do have some ideas brewing in my mind about how to add more
Jifty-like magic on top of Catalyst... but I'm waiting to see how
Reaction pans out :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,