[Catalyst] YAPC::Europe Call for Hackathons

Thomas Klausner domm at cpan.org
Wed Apr 4 16:00:09 GMT 2007

Hi!

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 10:54:35AM +0100, Ash Berlin wrote:

> What is involved in moderating such a beast?

I assume you've read this page:
http://vienna.yapceurope.org/ye2007/cfh.html

We plan this hackathons to be part team meeting of the core developers,
part community hacking (on bugs/features/docs/tests) and part
introduction to newbies.

Basically, a moderator would need to give a short introduction on the
topic and than
- have a well-defined list of tasks ranging from simple (something
  anybody with some programming background can achiev in a 2 hours) to
  complex (e.g. important issues that are better discussed in real live
  than in IRC/mailing list)
- hand out those tasks
- help newcomers (but we're not really looking for a introduction
  tutorial)
- and generally herd the cats

Our idea was that people might continue to work on issues brought up at
the hackathon during the rest of the conference (a bit like a slightly
organised hallway track), and to introduce newcomers and make it easy
for them to cuntribute.

But we're also open to any suggestions coming from people proposing
hackathons :-)

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at