[Catalyst] streaming output to view in real time

Jimmy Cooksey jcooksey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:36:46 GMT 2007

Ok, I'm requesting a design sanity check :-)

What I'd like to do is have a view come up with a form, and a div for
my streaming output.

The form is used to execute an external serverside program.  Data
fields in the form are basically just command line arguments for the
program.  The form submit controller action popen's my application,
and writes the STDOUT to my database, auto-incrementing an id value
along the way.  Meanwhile I've got one of those fancy "processing
data" ajax things to indicate that the program is being executed next
to my form.

Also, meanwhile, there will be a timer based javascript function,
which runs an httprequest back into my controller, and receives the
updates to the database (which are being populated by my external
program).  It only looks for entries with id > $last_id.  If it finds
any, it adds the line(s) into the div.  This would continue as long as
the page is open, and the initial $last_id would just be passed in
when the page loads.

Sound feasible?  I'm asking this broad question, because this will be
my first catalyst project, and I'd like to get started in the right
direction.