[Catalyst] [RFC] ditch svn

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 12:14:40 GMT 2007

On 18/04/07, Chisel Wright <chisel at herlpacker.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 01:21:07AM -0500, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> > I think it's pretty clear that Subversion is a failure for our
> project.  We
>
> It's not clear to me - where's the memo? I don't recall reading anything
> about the failing of svn/svk on this list - can you either elaborate or
> point me at a thread I missed?

I've had a couple of problems with nuking other people's work with my lack
of svk skills, but I find the distributed backup too good a feature to go
back to svn.  My understanding is that git supports  this feature as well.

I think jrockway's original complaint was that the svn/svk model makes
merging quite difficult and slows down progress which means that new
features are only released slowly.  For example there's a rather useful
refactor of Catalyst::Test somewhere in the bowels of branches/ that's at
risk of getting lost.

Me, I don't care, so long as the instructions of how to use it are
reasonably detailed and that the first couple of times I do anything
interesting=99 someone promises to hold my hand :)