[Catalyst] A View that may include elements optionally returnedfrom other funcs

Carl Johnstone catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk
Wed Apr 25 16:07:59 GMT 2007

> Maybe I am confused about MVC, but wouldn't you want the view to decide
> how to
> present what is sent to it by the controller, and hence have the
> controller
> handle this?

I don't know if it's you that's confused or me that's confused ;-) I can see
your point of view though.

>From my point of view, the "View" is handled by a designer. The designer
knows about HTML, CSS, JS, and enough about TT to get them going. They
typically wouldn't know anything about perl.

When the designer assembles the pages he decides which of the possible
common elements is going on each page and will include the relevant
sub-templates. It makes sense for me to be able to delegate control of that
to the designer by just letting them include what they like without having
to be involved every time something changes.

As an example during the summer the designer might take the football league
tables off the site in favour of something else. In my Controller though the
code that generates that data will still be run even though it's now
redundant.

Carl