[Catalyst] How to pass vars to modules

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 21:32:00 GMT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Dave Rolsky <autarch at urth.org>
To: The elegant MVC web framework <catalyst at lists.rawmode.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:17:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Catalyst] How to pass vars to modules

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, RA Jones wrote:

> So I'm declaring it in all my controllers that need to do sorts, which is
> repetitive and probably not the best way to do it. Is there a standard way of
> handling modules like this (Date::Calc is another)?

I'd say that declaring it where it is used _is_ the best way to do it.

It doesn't hurt to declare what prereqs a module has at the top of a
module, and it'll make it clearer what it's using. This is doubly true
when you're importing functions into a new namespace. It's really annoying
to see some random function used in a module and then try to figure out
where it might've come from.

-dave

Another way to help with this is to create a custom controller that declares the needed modules and have each controller that needs it inherit.  Or if you'd rather not use inheritance you can play with Moose and Roles.  I'm finding that Moose plays really nicely with Catalyst.

--John