[Catalyst] Ajax

Jon Schutz jon+catalyst at youramigo.com
Fri Aug 3 11:28:50 GMT 2007

I've been looking at this just in the last couple weeks so here are my
experiences...

I looked at the usual suspects and in the end settled on YUI, as it
seemed to have the most complete tutorials, examples, and API docs; also
has a good set of components, and, most importantly, the particular one
that I was after at the time.

My experience with dojo was that it was heavyweight, the examples killed
my browser half the time, and the docs were patchy, even though there
were a lot of them.

I glanced at jQuery; it's probably very good but I'd just come from
Yahoo where I found all of the docs laid out in a systematic and easy to
follow manner, and the jQuery page was just a bit overwhelming; looks
like all the info is there though.

Also looked at GWT; the thought of writing javascript in java just threw
me completely.  Why try to make plastic out of steel?

I started using Prototype when all I had to do was a few simple Ajax
callbacks; I've seen mst can Prototype more than once on this list, and
never quite understood why.  For doing the basics, it seemed more than
adequate to me.  It was probably mst's biases that sent me looking at
YUI and others rather than Scriptaculous for the pre-built components.

As someone who avoids writing javascript as much as possible, I've found
YUI very tolerable.

--

Jon