[Catalyst] People keep using that word. I do not think it means whay they think it means. (was: Ajax)

Matthew Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Mon Aug 6 16:14:18 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 16:19 +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Matthew Pitts <mpitts at a3its.com> [2007-08-06 15:25]:
> > It's far from pure REST
>
> None of the things on CPAN that have "REST" in their name have
> much to do with REST. Few people have any idea what REST really
> means. (It's actually very simple, just very abstract.)

Agreed. RESTfullness is *all* about the implementation. You can take
something like C::C::REST and use it to build a REST service. Or, you
can do as I have and use it for something totally non-REST where it
serves a good purpose and saves me time.

I'm not sure that "pure REST" is ever achievable in the real world
because it's so difficult to abstract the conversion b/t "data" and the
desired "content-type". IMHO

--
Matthew W. Pitts
Software Engineer