[Catalyst] Catalyst Unicode woes ...

Matt Lawrence matt.lawrence at ymogen.net
Thu Aug 9 11:07:53 GMT 2007

Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Aug 9, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Tobias Kremer wrote:
>
>> Following up on a conversion I started on the DateTime mailing-list
>> I'd like to
>> ask if it is really neccessary to use C::P::Unicode if a site uses
>> utf8-encoding?
>
> Also if you use open(), make sure you use the three argument version,
> and stick '<:utf8' in the middle arg.
It's probably worth mentioning that you can use the open pragma to do
this automatically.

use open ':utf8';

You can also use the -C switch to perl or the PERL_UNICODE environment
variable to set the default PerlIO layer to UTF-8 for handles. A value
of 31 should cause all handles to be flagged, including the three
standard handles.

See perldoc open and man perlrun for more details about these.

Matt