[Catalyst] improving usability / doc

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:27:38 GMT 2007

the thing that I have found confusing in the past is the fact that if
you go here:

http://search.cpan.org/~mramberg/Catalyst-Runtime-5.7008/

which appears to be the "root node" of things, then scroll down for
documentation, you find this:

http://search.cpan.org/~mramberg/Catalyst-Runtime-5.7008/lib/Catalyst/Manual.pod

which is fine, but then there is also this:

http://search.cpan.org/~jrockway/Catalyst-Manual-5.700704/

(which I generally use, as it seems more complete ... )

It's confusing. Which is the "canonical" manual? Why is there more
than one (rhetorical, I know the reasons is mostly historical ...)
TIMTOWTDI is a great concept, but it can be taken too far ...

If you do one thing only, (sorry, I can't include myself in this at
present ... hopefully one day ..) clarify this. Preferably my merging
these two docs into one.

A second very simple improvement would be a clearly labelled link
("The Manual") straight to Jon's manual from the front page of
http://www.catalystframework.org/ ? The apples are lovely and all, but
compare with http://subversion.tigris.org/ ... as a by no means ideal,
but better, example ... )

so yes, the nav does suck a bit IMO. The documentation itself is
pretty good - when you find it, and work out which bit to use.