[Catalyst] A Perl Message Queue?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:13:52 GMT 2007

On 8/24/07, Bernhard Graf <catalyst2 at augensalat.de> wrote:

> Hartmaier Alexander wrote:
>
> > So TheSchwartz may be a good module to queue mails by a Catalyst app
> > for sending them by let's say a perl script run by cron (or running
> > all the time)?!
> >
> > At the moment I'm sending the mails directly from my Cat app (SMTP to
> > localhost mail daemon) which works flawless (as long as the local MTA
> > runs).
>
> Don't know about TheSchwartz (btw. what a stupid name), but MTAs have
> their own message queues, so no need for another one.
>
> SMTPing to localhost usually doesn't make much sence - it is slow and as
> you mentioned already it causes trouble when the daemon is down or slow.
>
> So either you want to do queueing overhead, dns resolving and SMTPing to
> the *remote* host yourself or you simply open(MAILER,"|sendmail @args").
> --
> Bernhard Graf

That's not entirely true, in as much as it may be technically correct but in
reality could bite you in the ass.  If you send out a lot of emails, you'll
likely piss off a lot of admins if you open/close a bunch of connections and
send one email a piece

Better to send out in a group while you have the socket open...

And TheSchwartz has a module for this already:
http://search.cpan.org/~btrott/Email-Send-TheSchwartz-0.01/lib/Email/Send/T=
heSchwartz.pm

-J

-- =