[Catalyst] Should CATALYST_DEBUG suppress manual calls to $c->log->debug()?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Aug 25 23:17:29 GMT 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:15:37PM +0100, Will Hawes wrote:
> I've been trying unsuccessfully to disable all debug messages while running
> tests on my app with prove. Setting CATALYST_DEBUG=0 eliminates all the test
> server debug output such as the list of loaded actions, but i am still
> seeing the output of every call made to $c->log->debug by my controller
> code.
>
> As far as I can see the docs regarding CATALYST_DEBUG=0 don't make any
> distinction about where debug messages originate, only that they are
> suppressed, which presumably means I shouldn't be seeing any debug output at
> all.
>
> Is my mistake in misunderstanding how $c->log->debug() is supposed to work?

Yes.

That logs a message of level 'debug'.

The internal Catalyst debugging aid stuff checks $c->debug and if so logs
messages with the debug level. But that doesn't mean turning off the internal
debugging changes the configuration of your logger whatsoever.

http://chainsawblues.vox.com/                    http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/