[Catalyst] CMS

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 02:27:44 GMT 2007

--- Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 12:41:11AM +0900, Matt Rosin
> wrote:
> > Catalyst::Plugin::I18N::DBIC (and
> Mango::Catalyst::Plugin::I18N) is
> > maybe a crosscutting thing like Zbigniew mentions
> with some useful
> > concepts.
> >
> > I'm not looking to build Drupal or a blog platform
> but I have nothing
> > against them per se. I was thinking more of a tool
> to reduce the
> > amount of Catalyst code I type by identifying
> patterns.
> >
> > For example:
> > - A multiuser pattern in which a site is separated
> into public, admin
> > and registered user portals (of which the latter
> two need to edit lots
> > of pesky data like their profiles, their "virtual
> holdings" like
> > coupons/listings/catalogs/resumes/banners//video
> clips, etc.).
> > Currently I would do this with a formbuilder form,
> view and save subs,
> > and TT template for each page.
>
> Reaction's action reflector plus the ActionForm
> viewport
>
> > - Another pattern might be to get one or a list of
> objects a user
> > owns, make a list of them and create an interface
> allowing them to
> > edit and save the data. We all keep reinventing
> the wheel with this.
>
> Reaction's action reflector plus the ListView,
> ActionForm and CRUDController
> classes.
>
> > Currently I would look at similar subs I'd made
> and well reinvent the wheel...
> >
> > I have 3 ideas at the moment.
> >
> > 1a. A standard object editor with rich editor and
> maybe some widgets.
> > It would render a complex form as necessary, given
> the object to be
> > edited. I once wrote something like this that
> would just let you edit
> > object data fields with text input boxes, it's not
> rocket science.
>
> Done.
>
> > 1b. Online asset manager to CRUD them, with a file
> upload widget might
> > also be nice.
>
> Mostly done.
>
> > 2a. Reduce the set of all information assets a
> user owns into a single
> > tree that may span many tables, allowing each
> asset (object, data
> > field, etc.) to be called from templates by name
> (could use namespaces
> > and dot notation maybe). This is probably most
> useful in the context
> > of having a tree of all text snippets, etc. used
> in display of the
> > public site.
>
> Doable using metaprotocol introspection. Right now
> you need to feed Moose the
> info by hand but in DBIC 09 it'll be baked in.
>
> > 2b. This reduces templates to a list of assets
> (snippets) called by
> > name interspersed with HTML tags and TT
> directives. Text snippets
> [...]

Matt,

Actually I personally appreciate the download.  One of
the biggest problems I have trying to find I good
entry point to Reaction is that there is a lot of
things and ideas new to me that I need to grasp, and
having something more than the source and the tests
helps me a lot.

Right now I typically first reimplementing a  half
baked version of something and only then do I
understand why something was written the way it was in
Reaction.

--John