[Catalyst] help with Catalyst::Plugin::Form::Processor

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Dec 6 17:10:32 GMT 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:09:18AM -0800, Michael Higgins wrote:

Sorry, I missed this question:

> Will this work without form_widgets.tt or CSS?

There's no HTML generation code in Form::Processor.  I leave all that
to the templates.  So, "form_widgets.tt" is an example of a template
to generate the form and individual fields.  It's a bit ugly of an
example -- didn't have the time to clean it up nicely for
distribution.  But, should give you some ideas.

The reason I leave the html generation to the templates is because the
markup is often custom to the application.  For example, do you
include a summary of error messages at the top of your application in
a message area, or right before the form?  Are error messages
displayed before the field or after?  Does the application need
special markup for javascript validation?  Do the form widgets need
custom class names to work with existing css?

That kind of markup is always custom, so I just use a template to
generate it.  And it's abstracted into a single template for all forms
to use in the application.  Then the individual forms of the
application can still be custom, but use the application-wide
template to be consistent.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org