[Catalyst] Catalyst Comprehensive Tutorials Needed

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Dec 16 08:41:20 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 15:40 +0800, Tony Winslow wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I'm new to Catalyst. I'm eager to learn it.
> Yet I cannot find a systematic book or
> tutorial about it. Can anyone here help
> me find one or even write one for the world?

Good timing.  My Catalyst book is now shipping:

http://www.packtpub.com/catalyst-perl-web-application/book

I was going to write a long announcement blurb, but now I don't have to.
From my blog (http://blog.jrock.us):

My Catalyst book is out and is beginning to appear in the hands of
fellow Catalyst users! You can buy it from Amazon and local book stores,
but it looks like the publisher (Packt) has the best price right now.

Basically, this book covers getting started with Catalyst. The goal is
to take you from "what's MVC?" to being able to write complete web
applications with Catalyst. We'll build a few complete applications
including an address book, a mini-blog, and ChatStat (which is basically
Ircxory but with a Template Toolkit interface instead of one built with
Template::Declare).

Along the way you'll learn all about Catalyst, DBIx::Class, and the
Template Toolkit. I cover REST interfaces, AJAX (with Jemplate), RSS,
testing, deployment, and more. The book is very hands-on oriented; I
usually explain what sort of code I want to write, write the code, and
then explain what the code does. If necessary, we look at theoretical
examples of when related features would be useful, and then move on to
the next piece of code.

The full PR blurb is on the book's website, so please take a look.

(BTW, I haven't actually seen the final version yet... but I don't think
there are any massive errors :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway