[Catalyst] Web hosting?

Andrew Rodland arodland at comcast.net
Sun Dec 16 23:21:50 GMT 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007 06:50:41 am Matt Rosin wrote:
> I started this same thread a few months ago and many people were kind
> enough to reply.
>
> It seemed a decision between linode.com and slicehost.com.
>
> Slicehost sounds cool and very well may be cool, however it is newer,
> has a waiting list (not extremely long), and what got me was that they
> say no up front but then require up front just to get early on the
> list.

Actually slicehost has cleared out their backlog, there's once again no wait.
Minimum prepayment term is still 3 months and it doesn't look like they
intend to change that, but if you cancel within a month (for example) they'll
still refund you two. Larger prepayments get a discount, but that's probably
not a big incentive if you're just trialing them :)

Linode offers a bit more RAM and a higher bandwidth cap for the price, which
is nice, while Slicehost gives you four virtual CPUs, more I/O allowance, and
has a nifty backup system. Both have very responsible developers/admins.

I've been running some things (including a couple Catalyst sites) on Slicehost
now for over a year, and they've been good to me. No performance issues once
I figured out how best to configure apache to save on memory. Linode
certainly looks good too. I figure it's the kind of competition that benefits
the customer.

Andrew