[Catalyst] [OT] ASP.NET MVC

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:03:05 GMT 2007

The chained thing is probably the single most useful thing in cat IMO
(if it's possible to even make such a dumb call ;)

The way I have come to see it (it took a while, reading discussions
here helped me grasp this) is that the way you design your URI space
is very very fundamental to design of a web app. Chained helps you to
remember this and try to get it right at the start. It also makes the
decision about what actions go in what controllers separate from
decisions about URI namespace. (I haven't really figured out if that
is entirely a good thing or not, but it seems helpful.)

The syntax *is* a bit hard to get used to at first - I find that the
important thing is to remember that Args() defines an endpoint (hope I
am remembering that right), other than that take a good look at what
the debug server tells you when it starts up. (Without that info it'd
be a royal PITA)

Centralised routing stuff might be nice to have, but the way Chained
flies now is pretty darn neat, once you get used to it. For me, I
think I might prefer to be able to see the routing info right there in
the action definition - where you need it. There isn't much cause to
use anything other than Chained, as far as I can see (except the odd
private helper method).

BTW I talked about this a bit at the (first) Brussels Perl Mongers
group a month or two back, and I have someone coming round for a beer
later this evening - they have been wanting to port their Mason app to
Catalyst, and I'm gonna see if I can help them get started.

cheers

Daniel