[Catalyst] [RFC] Loading Plugins from lib/MyApp/Plugins

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Dec 18 13:54:14 GMT 2007

John Napiorkowski wrote:
> --- Bogdan Lucaciu <bogdan at wiz.ro> wrote:
> =

>> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 04:39:36 Christopher
>> Laco wrote:
>>> I know I've been down this thread before. When
>> writing a framework that
>>> generates customized Catalyst apps, it would be a
>> whole lot easier
>>> (well, more proper) to add plugins in
>> lib/MyApp/Plugins, just like we do
>>> with controllers/models/view, than it is to molest
>> the MyApp.pm 'use
>>> Catalyst' line to include custom plugins.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming that it's just a matter of tweaking
>> the Module::Pluggable
>>> search paths at the appropriate time when Cat is
>> starting up.
>>> Is this a planned feature for 5.8? Could it be?
>>> Yes, I'll volunteer to put some tuits on it if
>> need be.
>>
>> I would rather have this in the config.
>> Even some Views/Models can be just in the config, as
>> the files on disk are =

>> sometimes mostly empty.
> =

> I'd also vote for the config, since I've had several
> use cases of using one set of plugins in dev and a
> subset of that on prod.  I'm sure I'm not the only
> one.
> =

> -john

And what if I want some models/views/controllers for dev vs. live?
I wouldn't want to rely on config to do that either. But I get the point.

I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive either. If you don't
want to use the Plugins directory, don't put anything in it, and use
config instead....and vice versa.

-=3DChris