[Catalyst] Problem with Catalyst::Plugin::I18N using UTF-8

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Fri Dec 21 20:26:21 GMT 2007

On Friday 21 December 2007 20:10:28 Brian Cassidy wrote:
> Knut-Olav Hoven wrote:
> > That seems like an odd solution...
> >
> > The Decode parameter is used to decode unicode characters, while the
> > Unicode plugin is encoding to unicode...?
>
> This tutorial was never complete, and it's getting a little bit on the
> old side, but it's basically still valid:
>
> http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/svnweb/Catalyst/view/trunk/Catalyst-Plugin-I18
>N/lib/Catalyst/Plugin/I18N/Manual.pod
>
> (Note the use of the Unicode plugin)

I looked at the Unicode plugin and I believe it most likely will break the
integration against our LDAP backend, for example when searching for names
containing characters like æøå. (OpenLDAP requires its input as UTF-8.)

In addition, this is bad if your code (or templates) contains special unicode
characters; which then becomes double-encoded.

The Unicode plugin looks like could be useful if you are migrating old data or
an old website that didn't use UTF-8 before. It is definitely not the
solution for me, as it means more data processing and might introduce new
bugs.

As I said in my first post, the solution (which works for me) was to turn off
the Decode parameter. This makes more sense to me now, since my mo/po-files
are already in UTF-8 and don't need to be converted.