[Catalyst] Re: javascript in Catalyst using Template Toolkit

kevin montuori montuori at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 23:08:34 GMT 2007

 >> My experience is that every time I think I -can- make that
 >> assumption, later I end up really wishing I could deploy my app to
 >> a sub-URL for testing or similar.

 DM> If I hit that one (needing to test code on the real server while
 DM> an existing version runs) I typically just run a second server on
 DM> port 8080 or something.

heh.  i'm picturing how that request would have gone over with the
firewall group at the last fortune 500 i worked for.  if you managed
to write a business case and argue that opening the port was necessary
it'd still have taken two weeks to accomplish (and some random and
unknown port would have ended up opened up to the wrong subnet; but i
digress).

besides, but what about when you want to move your application to,
say, a shared apache cluster where other applications are running?  or
you're told that you'll be using the latest and greatest new single
sign on product and you need to have your application protected but
the SSO login pages & images not?  and what about when you want to run
a second application or -- and don't think this doesn't happen -- some
capricious managedroid decides to change the URL of your application?

i can tell you that developers who write code that adapts well to the
shifting whims of management (and deployment architects) have a
happier and more fruitful life than the other kind -- as a release
engineer, i make sure that's the case.

sure there are times when planning for everything that might change is
too difficult or not practical or too expensive, but catalyst makes
this common problem just sort of go away with almost no added effort.

regardless, good luck with your app.

cheers.
k.

--