[Catalyst] Database connections leaking

Kevin Nathan knathan at linux54.com
Sat Dec 22 04:32:06 GMT 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:32:00 +1030
Jon Schutz <jon+catalyst at youramigo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 18:34 -0700, knathan at linux54.com wrote:
>

>> The program seems to be working fine while on the Catalyst test
>> server, and when on an Apache/mod_perl server when the postgres
>> database is on the same physical server. The database connections
>> don't start leaking until we attempt to use a separate (physical)
>> database server. We verified this using iptraf and seeing none of
>> the connections being re-used *or* closed.
>>

>How many database connections are you actually seeing?  You should
>expect up to one per Apache/mod_perl process.  Are you also seeing
>growth in the number of Apache processes?

I can't check the server right now (need to be at work for that), but I
didn't think to watch for Apache/mod_perl processes. What we were
looking for was port 5432 connections (postgres). When it works, we get
two or three connections per login and they stay steady. When it's not
working, they continuously increase until config limit is reached
(we've gone as high as 3000 connections).

It will be a few days now, before I can check it again unless I get
some time to drive to the colocation, but I will check for the Apache
processes. If they are going up, too, where should I look? Any hints
(or websites) that may help?

Thanks for the quick response!

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
knathan at linux54.com

Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
The command line is the front line.
Linux 2.6.16.27-0.9-default
  9:29pm  up   7:40,  18 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.25, 0.35