[Catalyst] O?Reilly might yet be interested after all

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Feb 6 14:55:43 GMT 2007

On 6 Feb 2007, at 14:30, Fernan Aguero wrote:

> The other could be more annoying for a beginner: you have to
> learn a new set of syntax rules to use TT. Even if there's
> already another book about TT, you might want to at least skim
> through some simple TT templates.
>
> And the typical beginner question would then follow:
> "OK, I see why you need a delimiter/marker ('[% %]') to tell TT which
> parts of the template should be processed, but what I just
> don't see is why I can't use standard Perl syntax within
> these delimiters!

That way lies PHP.

And I've found TT much, -much- easier to teach to designers than perl
would be. The main thing to remember is that really, most of TT's
syntax is just an escape hatch - if you're doing much more than a few
FOREACH and WHILE loops you probably have logic that should be
written in perl, maybe as a sub in the stash, maybe some other way.

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for