[Catalyst] Re: memory usage of mod_perl process

Perrin Harkins pharkins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 18:35:20 GMT 2007

On 2/9/07, Jeffrey Ng <jeffreyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > here's the result on a live server:
> > >
> > >              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> > > Mem:       4150972    2654016    1496956          0
>  27548    1313344
> > > -/+ buffers/cache:    1313124    2837848
> > > Swap:      8385912       6920    8378992
[...]
> hi how can you tell our apache is just using 1.3 GB? what king of files does
> the rest of it cache?...

Look at the second line of output from free (or free -m, for
megabytes).  It's telling you that you're only using 1313124 bytes for
applications, and the rest is buffers and  cache.

For more info on buffers and cache, try googling it:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=linux+free+buffers+cache&btnG=Search

The first hit looks pretty good:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management

> can we run devel::DProf with mod_perl catatlyst? or do we have to use
> apache::Dprof?

Apache::DProf should work, but I think people often profile catalyst
apps on the test server using Devel::DProf.  There's probably
something on the catalyst site about this if you search for it.

- Perrin