[Catalyst] save session data

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Fri Feb 9 22:19:01 GMT 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 15:39:25 -0500, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> I can't see why you wouldn't store it like any other data in a
> database table.  Just make a table structure that fits it and use it
> the way you normally use your database.

<voice type="celebrity" class="cheesy,wash_out">
Hi, my name is Yuval Kogman. You may know me from modules such as
Catalyst::Plugin::Session and Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication. As
the author of these modules I fully endorse the above comments
<wink/>.
</voice>

Seriously though, PerUser was meant to make it trivial to migrate a
guest session to a full model. Once you need data associated with a
user then keep it with the user, don't create too many levels of
indirection. The tools I wrote are filled with features that might
be useful under certain scenarios, and admittedly they push the
boundries of what is sometimes sane. I think this is valuable for
during-development hacks, but that's no replacement for a fully
thought out solution that is easy to maintain and understand.

Cheers,

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418