[Catalyst] Re: memory usage of mod_perl process

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Fri Feb 9 22:35:00 GMT 2007

Tony Losey <tlosey at 3sixtygroup.com> wrote on 02/09/2007 04:05:17 PM:

> On Fri February 9 2007 12:53 pm, Jeffrey Ng wrote:

> > > Take a good, hard look at what's coming out of your web servers.
Install
> > > a Squid farm in front of the servers and let them cache anything
> > > suitable...
> >
> > yes we are thinking about that now. however, we are not sure how to
update
> > the cache we we want to refresh the page. i guess we will adjust the
http
> > header when we want to flush it? how does squid know if our page is
> > refreshed when it has already cached our page though?...
> >

> You can call the PURGE command on squid. You must allow this in the conf
and
> put in place the proper acl to allow it. I believe you can call squid
with
> the following options to force a purge of the cache of a given page.
>
> -m PURGE http://mywebsite.com/index.html
>
> We are not using catalyst in production yet so we don't have squid
running in
> front of any catalyst apps. We do however have it running in front of
some
> python/zope/plone sites. There are plugins that handle the purging
directly
> for us. We just provide the url to purge to a method that handles the
purge
> when needed.

Or set the Time to live on the page headers to a reasonable amount of time
-- lets say 1 minute.  This basically serves cache for 99.9% of the hits
and only goes to the app server once per minute for a refresh. No perge
needed,  just tune the cache time to be the maximum you feel comfortable
with.  Hitting the app server from your frontend every once in a while for
static or cacheable pages is no huge deal -- don't sacrifice administrative
costs for one or two hits a minute.