[Catalyst] Dreamhost for Catalyst

Toby Corkindale toby at ymogen.net
Wed Feb 14 16:31:13 GMT 2007

Hi guys,
was chatting to someone about hosting a low-traffic Catalyst site, and
the subject of Dreamhost came up - they (apparently) offer particularly
cheap virtual servers (about £5/month), and judging by their website,
you receive a shell and can compile your own apps, including it says,
CGI apps.

I was wondering how appropriate it would be for running a
database-backed Catalyst app though. There is support for persistent
MySQL databases (i don't know about PostgreSQL), but I don't know about
mod_perl or fastcgi apps.

Has anyone else tried using them?
You don't get a unique IP address, so I suspect you don't get your own
Apache instance either, so that probably rules out mod_perl.

I guess I could always have a CGI-only version of the catalyst app, but
catalyst takes quite a while to load up on bigger apps..

Cheers,
Toby