[Catalyst] unicode best practices

Richard Jolly Richard.Jolly at bbc.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 15:58:16 GMT 2007

Jonathan Rockway wrote:

> Also, read http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/21
> for unicode details.

The encoding::warnings pragma is great, though I'm a little shocked at
how many warnings it's uncovered.

Other questions: C::P::Unicode encodes the body in the finalize method.
That makes sense.

But I'm tempted to try putting "use encoding 'utf8'" in the main
catalyst application module. Or at least "use open 'utf8'". That would
handle all the file reads and writes, but presumably also the final
write to STDOUT that catalyst does. So it sounds like it would conflict
with C::P::Unicode.

I'll be experimenting later, but does anyone have comments on doing it
like that?

Thanks,

Richard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/