[Catalyst] "You have been automatically logged out."

Ted Carnahan ted at tedcarnahan.com
Wed Feb 21 14:44:29 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 15:10 -0800, J. Shirley wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
> If you aren't doing any AJAX interactions, the simple approach is to
> add a JavaScript listener to the onload event that calls the following
> (untested) function:

We use a similar method, which works well, but some Firefox users have
complained that when the alert box switches tabs on them, which can
cause confusion if they've got several different screens open.
Personally I think that's a small price to pay.  Now that popup blockers
are (more) the norm, popping a window isn't usually possible.

I've been pondering an alternative that uses a JS timeout to do
something HTML-y, like a div appearing on the side of the window to tell
them.  This probably still suffers from the "escape cancels timeout"
issue reported down-thread.

- Ted Carnahan