[Catalyst] Article on web frameworks ommits Catalyst

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 14:33:24 GMT 2007

http://blog.lostlake.org/index.php?/archives/16-Web-Framework-Manifesto.html

> I've written a comment in the article suggesting
> that this is a pretty major
> ommission and that he might want to evaluate
> Catalyst and do an update.  The
> author seems coherent and reasonably knowledgable to
> me, so how bout it
> guys?  Maybe you should let him know his mistake
> too?

This is actually quite an interesting thoughtdump on
what we'd like in a web development framework.  Some
of the things mentioned, such as a great dispatching
system, straightforward ORM support and easy to extend
APIS (Plugins, customized Controllers, Views or
Models) we have.  However some of the things mentioned
I don't see as current strong points of Catalyst, such
as the idea of web pages being highly componentized
and capable of managing their own state.  This could
just be my ignorance though.

The article is big on continuations.  Catalyst has a
plugin for this but I'm not sure many people know what
to do with it or what the advantages could be.  To be
honest I'm not someone that could answer that
question.

One thing not mentioned as a strong point for a
framework is something that is a big plus for perl,
which is the size of CPAN.

--john