[Catalyst] RFC for Catalyst enabled GWT clone

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jan 2 18:13:59 GMT 2007

On 30 Dec 2006, at 04:32, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:

> On 12/29/06, John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> So I guess my question is would people like a GWT like
>> system for Catalyst and if so what would you like to
>> see in it?
>
> I've been thinking a lot about these sort of things lately but I
> couldn't come up with a clean way to do it the way I envisioned it.
>
> I think one of the most relevant concepts of these toolkits such as
> GWT is the ability to have everything represented as widgets. I don't
> know if it's just me but I've always failed when trying to to cleanly
> code real widgets using the Catalyst + TT + DBIC combo. I always ended
> up with something that violated MVC (or was just plain ugly). Either I
> had lots of TT code that talked directly to the model or I had view
> logic leaked into my controllers.

I think I may have succeeded, finally. Next hacking session I have on
Reaction will be to add the layout layer, which should be the last
piece of the puzzle (well, base-design-wise anyway, there'll be
plenty work left to get automatic partials and other JS widget
goodness).

But yes, this is a Really, Really Hard Problem (tm). It's taken me
over a year and probably a couple dozen redesigns to get as far as I
have and I'm still only 80% sure this is the right answer.

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for