[Catalyst] Managing CPAN on Ubuntu [was: 'Installing under ...' on the wiki]

paddy at panici.net paddy at panici.net
Fri Jan 5 12:36:03 GMT 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 11:08:39AM +0000, Richard Jolly wrote:

> >Either way, I reckon that I should possibly take this off-list, or to
> >another one. Is there a "Managing CPAN Modules For Dummies"
> >debian/ubuntu list I can harass? :) [prefereably with an archive]
> >(or some up-to-date web resources)
>
> Reviving an old thread here - I was wondering if you found such a
> Dummies list.

you could try the debian-user mailing list, or the ubuntu equivalent.
Although I would have thought this list would be as dense a
concentration of such knowledge as you're likely to find anywhere.
sorry, punavoidable ;-)

> I'm new to the debian/ubuntu way (I've been on FreeBSD, an OS X). I
> gather there is a danger of mixing apt-get and CPAN installs. But from
> my impression people usually end up with mixed installs anyway.
> dh-make-perl is an option, but doesn't handle dependencies as well as
> cpan.
>
> I'm looking for strategies to handle this - particularly in the context
> of installing catalyst on ubuntu.

when I installed catalyst on etch a while back, I ended up with a mixed
install with cpanp managing the part of the install in /usr/local.
that was fine for a single-purpose 'have-a-look-see' install, but for
different purposes I might do things differently.

Regards,
Paddy