[Catalyst] How about the catalyst scalability

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Fri Jan 5 14:35:38 GMT 2007

Mao DengFeng-e13751 wrote:
> etoys uses mod_session. What's the difference between catalyst session
> and
> mod_session?

eToys used mod_session to give users cookies because many of the pages
on the site were served from the cache on the proxy server and never
touched the mod_perl server.  If we waited for them to hit a page that
went to the mod_perl server, we wouldn't have been able to track their
movements on the site before that.  We had the proxy configured to log
the session ID on every hit, so we could produce a click trail through
the site for each person.

If you have a similar issue that you need to deal with, you should be
able to make Catalyst's session plugin use a cookie generated by
mod_session or something similar.  (I use mod_auth_tkt most of the time
these days.)  For most sites, it's probably not important to issue a
cookie on static pages.  Many people get their click trail analysis from
something like Google Analytics these days.

- Perrin